E = Everyone can do it
1. Energy Saving Measures
- LED and CFL lights to replace traditional incandescent bulbs which minimizes energy required for lighting. E
- Daylighting by having South and North facing windows to utilize the natural light.
- Solar-powered outdoor lamps. E
- Insulation minimizes the transfer of heat/thermal energy through materials especially walls and windows.
- Double pane windows allow light to come through while acting as insulation.
- Green roofs and green walls use plants to help insulate/moderate the temperature of a building (usually attributed to helping cool buildings so that they do not require so much energy for cooling loads). Also, green roofs help reduce stormwater runoff.
1C. Energy Generation/Harvesting
- Solar PV to produce electricity.
- Solar thermal hot water to generate hot water from solar energy. E
1D. Energy Conservation
- Appliances with high Energy Star ratings require less energy. E
- Light detecting sensors that adjust artificial light depending on the supply of sunlight to minimize energy use for lighting.
2. Water Saving Measures
- Low flow water fixtures such as toilets, shower
- heads, waterless urinals, sinks. E
- Water metering to monitor consumption. E
3. Storm/Rainwater Management
- Green roofs use plants and soil to help filter rain/stormwater and minimize runoff.
- Rainwater collection system can funnel water from the roof/gutter to a collection container for storage until it is needed for use. (Example- to water plants using the drip irrigation system)
- Permeable surfaces/pavement that allows water to percolate into the ground.
4. Waste Management
- Sort out waste by: Landfill waste, glass, aluminum, plastic (#1-
- #7), paper, cardboard, compost. E
- Drip irrigation system to reduce water use. Less water evaporates this way than with traditional sprinklers which fling water into the air so it’s easy to evaporate. E
- Plant a garden to reduce the need to source food outside of the local region decreasing emissions from transportation and the use of pesticides/insecticides. E